Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Waiting for Philadelphia


Posted by John McHale

I never fly to visit my parents for Christmas as I figure the five and half hours it takes to get there by car is the same if I fly. This year I tried flying ... and I've been sitting at the airport for two hours with two more to go as my flight is delayed almost three hours -- because of the Philadelphia connection.

Not complaining, but wondering why one city is the center of so many flight delays. I really don't mind delays, as much as I travel I'm used to them -- but what is up with Philadelphia?

I've even heard pilots mumbling four-letter words about getting stuck with the Philly route. Are they unorganized there? Or is it a lack of runways? It can't always be the weather ...

I really don't know. If someone out there does, please tell me.

Anyway, it's a cold, but sunny day and the Internet here is free and I am finally on vacation.

I hope you are too.

Enjoy your holiday.

3 comments:

  1. In case you have not noticed the whole country has been shut down by snow storms all week. Also, airports/FAA can not regulate the amount of flights per hour and thus the delay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One runway in Philly I believe. I always dreaded going through that god forsaken place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad, Philadelphia is my home airport! They only have 2 runways that can handle full size jets. One for incoming and one for outgoing. These 2 runways share the same taxiways, so traffic on the ground is usually snarled as well. Guess we just gotta live with it until they change things.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete